[arch-general] arch health

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Apr 20 00:22:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

I would be concerned, if too many security features not everybody needs,
would become default. Why not dropping security features completely and
instead making real-time optimised features the default? This is a
rhetorical question, but actually I would prefer the latter.

In my experiences Arch is very healthy.

I doubt that many packages are outdated.

Right off the bat a few come to mind, e.g.

 claws-mail and clawsker

but we had Easter holidays and some packages are already in testing.

Other packages, such as e.g.

 ardour

are out of date for a long time, but the maintainer explained why he has
got no time for a while. Apart from this Ardour is niche software.

Each of the outdated packages I noticed still build using ABS or AUR
PKGBUILDs by just changing the version and skipping or changing the
checksums or they require minimal additional editing, if so I
usually drop a note to AUR comments, how to fix the issue.

It's hard to find much more packages I consider really outdated.
I noticed that some packages from official repositories are flagged out
of date, a few minutes after upstream released a new version, so I
wouldn't count those packages.

In my experiences Arch is a healthy rolling release. There are a few
hiccups, but I experience less hiccups using Arch, than I experience
serious issues with other distros.

Regards,
Ralf