[arch-general] arch health

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Apr 20 19:21:53 UTC 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:00:13 +0100, Mauro Santos via arch-general wrote:
>On 20-04-2017 18:56, Carsten Mattner via arch-general wrote:
>> If I may suggest a pain point: arch needs good support for
>> revoking packages and replacing with the previous version
>> if regressions are encountered. Case in point ffmpeg 3.3.
>> 3.2.4 was fine and 2.8.11 is also fine but 3.3's muxer
>> corrupts files. It's not the first instance where I wished
>> for official revoke and replace in the index instead of
>> manual user intervention.
>>

>Have you reported the bug? If yes and the dev decides that it should be
>reverted to a previous version there is a way to do it, see:
>man pacman | grep -A1 epoch

For the sake of completeness:

"Upstream or Arch?
[snip]
If Arch is not responsible for a bug, the problem
will not be solved by reporting the bug to Arch developers." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_bug_guidelines#Upstream_or_Arch.3F

This policy isn't always pleasant ;), but the Arch developers sometimes
are willing to balance pros and cons, so sometimes they fix such
issues ;).