[arch-general] End of official PaX and grsecurity support in Arch Linux

Alexander Harrigan alexanderharrigan at techmail.info
Sat Apr 29 20:03:55 UTC 2017

Name doesn't matter. When it breaks with systemd then it will be stopped but
that won't be in months. Paxd is avalaible and it always be assumed to
maintain it by yourself. Also I see contradiction when you say many critical
grsecurity features won't be avalaible in mainline kernels anytime soon and
same time you say there is no sense to use last grsec kernel as long as we
can. I'm not asking you to maintain it. There is a chance that
gentoo|opensuse|debian guys step in to do it. In that case it will be
beneficial to Arch having it avalaible in AUR.

Anyway I'll be using grsec kernel myself until something like linux-hardened
be avalaible.

On On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:20 PM, Daniel Micay via arch-general <arch-
general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 17:03 +0000, Alexander Harrigan wrote:

> > I found someone from opensuse started to maintain grsec patches for

> > 4.9 kernel

> > series [1]. Maybe it will be possible to add linux-lts-grsec package

> > to AUR

> > based on Daniel's PKGBUILD and config with RANDSTRUCT enabled linked

> > to new

> > upstream source.

> > [1] https://github.com/kdave/grsecurity-patches/tree/master/wip

> As I mentioned, it can't be called PaX or grsecurity. I also don't think

> it makes sense to expend time on this. It won't support new hardware and

> systemd will probably increase the minimum kernel version before the 4.9

> LTS is end-of-life. Effort spent on 4.9 is effort not spent on anything

> that will actually last. If someone decides to do this, they'll also be

> taking responsibility for maintaining PaX exceptions, etc. and handling

> any bugs caught by the features or false positives. There will be new

> issues introduced as the LTS gets changes backported to it.

\-- Sent using MsgSafe.io's Free Plan Private, encrypted, online communication
For everyone. https://www.msgsafe.io