[arch-general] text console no longer turns off (it blanks, but powered) after 4.12.5 or xf86-video-ati update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 16 03:14:42 UTC 2017

All,

  I have 2 Arch servers that boot to the default text console. It has always
properly blanked (DPMS power off) after the default timeout (6-7 min?). After
update to the 4.12.5 kernel, which occurred at the same time of the
xf86-video-ati (1:7.9.0-1 -> 1:7.9.0-2) update, the monitor no longer powers
off when the screen blanks. An hour later there is still the
blanked-but-powered light from the monitor (I don't know if this is called
backlight power for the text console rather than X).

  The problem continues after the 4.12.6 update. So there was either something
in the 4.12.5 kernel update that is preventing the console power-off from
working, or something in the xf86-video-ati update that did it.

  There is nothing in the journal about video or dpms. What else can I check
to help figure out what broke? With X at least there is xset, but I'm not sure
what to look at for the default terminal?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.