[arch-general] Handling python venv packages breaking on glibc update

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 09:41:31 UTC 2017

I use psycopg2 for postgres access in my pyramid web-app, and like most
(all?) python developers all the dependencies are in a virtualenv,
including psycopg2 itself.

This means, of course, that the psycopg2 wheel is precompiled.

With the recent glibc-2.26 update, I can no longer import psycopg2. This is
the error message I get on the file libresolv-2-c4c53def.5.so:

symbol __res_maybe_init, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
libc.so.6 with link time reference

I'm not sure why the psycopg2 pip package bundles in libresolv (which is
part of glibc in Arch, explaining why the Arch psycopg2 package works fine,
even without a recompile). Where's the right place for me to fix this? With
the psycopg2 pip maintainers or somewhere else?