[arch-general] Proposal: add "--disable-modern-top" to procps-ng configure flags

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Sat Dec 9 16:31:21 UTC 2017

On 09/12/17 16:21, Doug Newgard via arch-general wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 15:39:46 +0000
> Jonathon Fernyhough <jonathon at manjaro.org> wrote:
>
>> The "modern" default interface:
>>
>> * requires user configuration to make usable;
>
> Completely subjective
>
>> * uses low-contrast text;
>
> So? This is personal preference
>
>> * is not consistent with other distros;
>
> Nobody cares
>
>> * has caused confusion to Arch users [2].
>
> Nobody cares
>

> What you have left out is that your proposal has already been rejected
> (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/56639). Complaining in every venue you can
> find does nothing other than make people ignore you in the future.

I thought that a more fully-formed proposal with more detailed rationale
sent to the mailing list where devs might read it might have made the
case better, but if that's "complaining" then I guess I really don't
understand how you do things.

Thanks for spending the time to consider the proposal and for your
valuable input, nevertheless.

If anyone is willing to help me contribute in a way that isn't viewed as
"complaining" please point me in the right direction.