[arch-general] Proposal: add "--disable-modern-top" to procps-ng configure flags

Tinu Weber takeya at bluewin.ch
Sat Dec 9 17:05:14 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 16:31:21 +0000, Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
> If anyone is willing to help me contribute in a way that isn't viewed as
> "complaining" please point me in the right direction.

In this particular case, ask upstream (as also pointed out on the bug
tracker). Arch Linux does not patch software or deviate from its default
behaviour unless absolutely necessary (usually in case of bugs that make
an application unusable).

Also, from what I have seen, even Debian and Fedora eventually go with
upstream for these kinds of changes (at least that was the case for the
`ls` output style in coreutils >=8.25 - Debian users only recently also
got to see the super-cool new default for --quoting-style).

An personal advice from my side, as I have also been burnt by that:
Don't try to discuss Arch Linux packaging decisions. There is nothing
you can really do. The least frustrating approach is to simply package
stuff your own and fix the things that annoy you (and from what I see,
you're already doing that).

Best,
Tinu