[arch-general] Proposal: add "--disable-modern-top" to procps-ng configure flags

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 10 03:27:49 UTC 2017

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 00:10:15 +0000
Jonathon Fernyhough <jonathon at manjaro.org> wrote:

> I submitted, what I thought, was a reasonably structured and detailed
> proposal to change one flag in a PKGBUILD file which would have few (if
> any) side effects.
>
> The whole point of a proposal is to drive a discussion; there is no
> assumption it is absolutely correct. I don't see that as "griping". If
> I'd just said "top sucks, you should fix it", then fine - but I didn't
> do that.

To be clear, the real issue people are having with you here isn't your
proposal. It's the fact that you submitted it to the bug tracker, the
maintainer saw it, thought about it, and rejected it, but you couldn't let it
go at that. You instead drew out a forum thread to the point it got closed,
then decided to continue here. That is not the behavior of someone who wants
discussion or to contribute, it's the behavior of someone trying to cause
trouble. It comes across as petty and whiny. Please remember this for future
interactions.