[arch-general] No ipv6 address - but only on one machine

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Dec 22 17:15:07 UTC 2017

Having a weird situation going on with IPv6.  Every machine on my
network can successfully get an ipv6 address except for one.  (My main
server.)  What's even weirder is that ipv6 was working on that machine
up until probably about a week ago.  Not sure what the problem is, and
hoping someone here might be able to offer a pointer.  Here's the
scenario:

1) Wifi router reports an IPv6 address on both the WAN and the LAN
sides.  (In the 2607: range.)
2) Mac desktop behind the router successfully gets assigned an ipv6
address.
3) Linux laptop (running Arch) successfully gets assigned an ipv6
address (using NetworkManager).
4) Linux server (also running Arch) does not get assigned an ipv6
address.

The server is using netctl for networking, and its profile includes:

## For IPv6 autoconfiguration
IP6=stateless

Yet for some reason, this machine doesn't get assigned an external ipv6.
  Rather it only gets assigned one in the link-local range.  (I.e., in
the fe80: range.)

I have to admit this is pretty puzzling.  I can't for the life of me
figure out why the server can't get an address.  Particular since it was
able to do so successfully probably about a week or so ago.

Anyone have an idea what could have happened here?  Has there been some
package update recently that might explain this?  Or any pointers on how
I might go about debugging this?

Thanks,

DR