[arch-general] How to build package in "clean chroot" using the "-U" parameter?

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Fri Dec 22 18:01:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 02:36:17PM -0300, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
> Em dezembro 22, 2017 13:55 Manuel Reimer escreveu:
> > On 12/22/2017 03:17 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
> > I have an existing build system that I call with root permissions and
> > from this point on it does everything on its own. Including creating the
> > required build user, fetching build dependencies, building packages in
> > context of the build user, ...
> >
> > My idea was to make use of "chroot building" to have a clean state of
> > packages for every build. If this is possible, I would add this. If
> > fully automated processing doesn't work with the existing tools, I'll
> > stick with my way and keep building without chroot.
> >

> You keep saying chroot and I guess that arises from the name of the tool,
> makechrootpkg. But keep in mind that you don't actually use a chroot, you
> use a container. There's a difference, and it's not just semantics.

I'm sorry for an unrelated question, but why is it really necessary to make a
new container for each pkg? It seems lots of unnecessary copies (I think
rsync(1) call in makechrootpkg doesn't do hardlinks)...

I understand the issue about getting unlisted deps in packages, but in my
experience this problem is minor. So just boot a build container and ssh in
there as a non-root user (in fact, you don't even need root inside the
container). And keep it clean. At least this has worked for me for years.

Also, with newer -ARCH kernels, you can do non-privileged containers, so
makechrootpkg should run as a ordinary user to begin with...

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev