[arch-general] Install Archlinux on HP Elitebook

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 24 20:06:58 UTC 2017

On 12/24/2017 12:43 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Usually an example/stub config file is provided, which makes it very
> easy to adapt it to your needs.

Yes, grub2 really and truly sucks in this regard.

> Not misinformation, or FUD, just a difference of opinion.  In my opinion
> - and in my experience - the grub legacy menu.lst and the syslinux.cfg
> scripts are short, simple, and very easy to understand while the grub2
> config scripts I've run into are extremely long, complicated, and hard
> to understand.

I'd say it is the grub authors who are spreading the FUD, but I really
do feel that the common grub.cfg example is misdirection in action.

A difference of opinion would be if two people looked at the same
grub.cfg and one person said "this is too complicated" and the other
said "this is nice and simple". :)

I agree that grub-mkconfig examples are weird and complicated. TBH I
have no idea what they're doing, and they kind of scare me.

>> Hmm, I think I will invest the time in updating the Wiki page. This
>> travesty cannot continue, I must make sure people are well-informed.
>
> I welcome any effort you make in trying to make the grub config simpler
> and more understandable.  I have no inherent bias against the tool, and
> would be open to using it if I felt that it was becoming as easy to use
> as grub-legacy or syslinux.

I'll see what I can do. :D
The current wiki page buries all information about the ability to
manually create a grub.cfg, in the "Tips and tricks" sub-page as a tiny
blurb.

--
Eli Schwartz