[arch-general] Install Archlinux on HP Elitebook

Ken OKABE kenokabe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 02:52:50 UTC 2017

The preparation of GRUB and UEFI boot partition for Linux Installation
process is always bothersome.

Although currently I usually prepare 256MB of FAT32 partition-1,
sometimes it is the best manner that you simply have a boot-loader in
an external USB drive, especially when you have a hard time just to
boot a LinuxOS.

Have a working USB stick for

- UEFI
The rEFInd Boot Manager
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

- GRUB2
Super Grub2 Disk
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

The below is my personal installation method (UEFI).

Create 2 USB sticks: the latest UbuntuLive and rEFInd
Boot UbuntuLive and download Arch ISO
unsquashfs airootfs.sfs  (extract Arch file system dir from the ISO image)
systemd-nspawn to the extracted Arch file system (better than chroot)
pacstrap to the target partition (partition-2)
exit and return to Ubuntu live
systemd-nspawn to the newly installed target Arch file system
set up Arch
reboot the PC using rEFInd which should discover the newly installed Arch

of course,
on Ubuntu or later on Arch, you can "cp -ax" all files in rEFInd dir
to 256MB of FAT32 (boot flaged) partition-1, so that external rEFInd
USB stick is no longer needed.