[arch-general] user namespaces

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 2 08:27:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:16:12 -0700, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>So, why don't you just build your own kernel? It takes only 20 mins...

I agree that users should build the kernel on their own, if they want
special features, but on many old machines it takes much longer to build
a kernel based on a default config. 180 minutes on my machine. It
might be that some hardware is broken, but in the past even the quickest
builds, when definitively all the hardware was ok, require around 90
minutes. FWIW I don't need this namespace thingy, but build rt patched
kernels myself.

I know what I'm taklking about, because last time I build a kernel on
my 2.1 dual-core, 4 GiB RAM yesterday ...

[root at moonstudio weremouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/archlinux/ 2>/dev/null pacman -Qi linux-rt-rosaplüsch | grep Build
Build Date      : Wed Feb  1 14:24:47 2017

... and I build tons of kernels, not just for the connected hardware,
but with more or less default configs.