[arch-general] syslinux.cfg

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 16 10:20:58 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:38:05 -0700, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>Let's assume that you have the following:
>* /dev/sda1 -- mounted at /boot when you boot your ArchLinux system
>* /dev/sdb1 -- the same for Foo
>* syslinux is installed on /dev/sda1 (it is bootable).
>
>What I usually do, is mkdir /dev/sda1/{arch,foo} and rsync
>kernels/initrds from /dev/sda1 to arch/ and from /dev/sdb1 to foo/.
>Then, modify syslinux.cfg so that entries like LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
>become LINUX ../arch/vmlinuz-linux and similarly for INITRD. Finally,
>in your Arch's and Foo's fstabs, bind-mount arch/ and foo/ to
>respective /boot's (if desired of course, as you don't need to
>have /boot mounted).  This way you get the menu that you mentioned
>first.
>
>You no longer need data in /dev/sdb1 and can free the partition.

Thank you,

that is nice workaround, with just one pitfall.
If I want to maintain the other Linux in a systemd-nspawn container, I
won't be able to upgrade the kernel anymore [1]. Is there a workaround
for this, too? Perhaps I'm just using systemd-nspawn incorrect :D. I
should read more about systemd-nspawn ;).

I wonder how systemd-nspawn works, if e.g. /home would be on a
separated partition. Some days back I needed to use chroot, because
installing GRUB (GRUB itself, not the grub package/s) didn't work with
systemd-nspawn in the way I'm using systemd-nspawn.

However, I most likely will use the workaround you mentioned.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
[root at archlinux ~]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"
[root at archlinux ~]# grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
/dev/sda9       /               ext4  rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1

/dev/sda10      none            swap  defaults                 0 0

/dev/sda11      /mnt/music      ext4  defaults,noatime         0 2
/dev/sda5       /home/s1.music  ext4  defaults,noatime         0 2

[root at archlinux ~]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio
[root at moonstudio ~]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
[root at moonstudio ~]# grep -v ^# /etc/fstab

/dev/sdb11      /               ext4    rw,relatime               0       1
/dev/sda10      none            swap    sw                        0       0
/dev/sdb7       none            swap    sw                        0       0
/dev/sda9       /mnt/archlinux  ext4    defaults                  0       2
/dev/sdb15      /mnt/winos7     ext4    defaults,noatime          0       2
[root at moonstudio ~]# ls -hl /mnt/archlinux/
total 0
[root at moonstudio ~]# logout
[root at archlinux ~]# systemd-nspawn -bqD /mnt/moonstudio
[snip]
[root at moonstudio ~]# ls -hl /mnt/archlinux/
total 0
[root at moonstudio ~]# ls -hl /mnt/winos7/
total 0