[arch-general] New kernel repo

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:23:31 UTC 2017

On 01/06/2017 02:12 PM, Mthw Mthw via arch-general wrote:
> After using Archlinux for a while I started to miss the ability to
> use latest kernels easily as it is on Mint or Ubuntu. I think the
> ubuntu kernel ppa is a good way to distribute kernel packages to
> users who dont want to build kernels from source every time new
> version is available. I wanted to ask you if you could, in the
> future, create a webpage that would provide precompiled packages for
> linux-mainline and/or linux-rc.

Um, no?

1) We'd just publish a repo.
2) Anyone can publish a repo. [1]
3) Cluttering up the main repos for fringe packages is not desired. I
cannot see the Devs going for this.
4) Those aren't stable releases, therefore they make little sense in the
main repos. Besides, they'd never make their way out of the [testing] repos.

--
Eli Schwartz

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/unofficial_user_repositories