[arch-general] Does ArchHaskell still have purpose?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jan 8 23:26:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Well, the subject line says it all really. Does ArchHaskell still have
a role in the Arch world?

These are the reasons for asking this at this point:

- the Haskell packages in [community] now number more than 400 and there
  is considerable overlap with ArchHaskell (unfortunately it's not a
  superset, not yet anyway)
- the Haskell packages in [community] also seem to be well maintained
  and to receive timely updates,
- the build-tool and development-tool situation for Haskell has improved
  considerably over the last few years, between `stack` and `cabal`
  coupled with improvements to `ghci` and introduction of `ghc-mod`,
  `intero` and `hsdev` I feel that Haskell development now should be
  carried out without system-wide installation of libs.

In particular the last point means that I personally haven't had `ghc`
installed via a package for the last couple of months.

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
ark; professionals built the Titanic.
     — Anonymous