[arch-general] Does ArchHaskell still have purpose?

Felix Yan felixonmars at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 9 10:47:22 UTC 2017

On 01/09/2017 07:26 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Well, the subject line says it all really. Does ArchHaskell still have
> a role in the Arch world?

Actually I am planning to make everything dynamic-linked in next GHC
release, and kill all static libraries in the packages. This way haskell
software will be one step closer to follow Arch packaging guidelines.
The ArchHaskell packages, IMHO, will be more suited for Haskell
development after the change.

But as you mentioned, if system-wide packages are no longer a need for
development, the need for two set of packages is also gone.

On 01/09/2017 06:23 PM, Nicola Squartini via arch-general wrote:
> 1. How do you manage dependencies and rebuilds of Haskell packages
> without using cblrepo?

I still try to use cblrepo to track dependency versions, I just don't
use it to generate PKGBUILDs directly.

> 2. Shouldn't you track also Cabal's metadata revisions?

The metadata updates are mostly about dependency versions and bounds, so
I usually update that directly in the PKGBUILD instead. Please correct
me if I'm wrong here, though.

--
Regards,
Felix Yan