[arch-general] Weird reaction to pull request over at Arch Linux ARM

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 20:41:48 UTC 2017

On 01/27/2017 01:27 PM, Christopher Reimer wrote:
> I also noticed a few other pull request trying exactly that, which
> were instantly closed by Kevin Mihelich without any reasonable
> explanation. That's why I expected some resistance and prepared
> myself to counterargument a few of his concerns.
>
> And I think I did quite good. Good enough to make him ignore me.

Oh, he's ignoring you? I must be imagining this quote:

> I am speaking specifically to what is or will be officially
> supported.  The community is free to do whatever it wants outside of
> official support, and many people do this already for a number of
> boards.  Merely including the package here would imply official
> support to the vast majority of users despite any 72pt blinking red
> warnings we could put up state otherwise.  This then leads to said
> users expecting us to fix their problems.
>
> This position is no different than it's been throughout the life of
> this project.  Official support means an active, contributing
> developer has access to the hardware and can actively develop
> packages and address issues for that target.  The hardware that we
> choose to spend our time and money on is our own choice, not a
> decision forced upon us.

And I see nowhere that you have answered this IMO highly reasonable
objection.

> Why am I writing this to the Arch Linux mailing list? Well, for quite
>  some time I thought Arch Linux ARM is Arch Linux. And I think there
> are a lot more out there who think so. Therefore I think behavior
> like this could hurt the overall reputation of Arch Linux. Especially
> if a future goal of Arch Linux might be ARM support and Kevin
> Mihelich somehow joins the team.

I fail to see how the actions of an unaffiliated dev of a different
project could hurt the Arch Linux reputation, moreso when said actions
are reasonable actions. I especially don't see why you feel the need to
malign the good name of Mr. Mihelich against the future *possibility* of
him joining an official Arch Linux port (which shows far more "ulterior
motives" and "weird reactions" in your own actions than in his).

On the other hand, you are busy giving this mailing list a reputation
for spam. :( We don't care how he slighted you or which neighbor's dog
he may or may not have killed, please direct your personal campaigns
against the person of Mr. Mihelich ELSEWHERE.

--
Eli Schwartz