[arch-general] ownCloud vs. nextcloud

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Mon Jan 30 16:00:56 UTC 2017

Helloes!

I wonder what Arch's/Sergej Pupykin's position towards nextcloud is.
It seems that ownCloud lost most of its developers to the schism
introduced last year.
This led to many apps not being (mainly) developed by them anymore and
moving into the hands of nextcloud and/or being more actively developed
by nextcloud now (bookmarks, news, calendar, etc.)

There definitely also has been a problem transitioning from php 7.0.x to
7.1 as the current version of ownCloud now has a "hotfix" applied that
just suppresses the error message (which would render owncloud useless,
as owncloud < 9.2 suppossedly doesn't work with php 7.1).
The bookmark app is currently unusable (unable to add new bookmarks due
to an old version of guzzlehttp dependency) and I wonder how much more
of that we'll have incoming.

Wouldn't it be better to switch to nextcloud in the community repository at
this point?

Best,
David

--