[arch-general] Basic questions about Linux's sound system

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Tue Jan 31 06:24:29 UTC 2017

Hello,

semms I'm missing some basic parts of the sound system. I've been told,
ALSA is for the hardware, pulseaudio is for the infrastructure, and
bluez provides for virtual bluetooth devices, so I understand it should
look like this (ASCII graphics, please use monospaced font for viewing):

    +------------+   +-----------+
    | Rosegarden |   |   Totem   |
    +------------+   +-----------+   +-----------------+
    |   Jack     |   | GStreamer |   | Appl. using PA  |
    +------------+---+-----------+---+-----------------+
    |                Pulseaudio (PA)                   |
    +--------------------+---+-------------------------+
    |        ALSA        |   |         Bluez           |
    +--------------------+   +-------------------------+

This would imply, that ALSA cannot "see" Bluetooth devices, but that
seems not to be the fact, so there's probably a misconfiguration on my
laptop. There's a bridge (bluez-alsa-git) in the AUR, but I haven't
installed it, so why can ALSA see my headset?

I'm asking this because of problems with HSP/HDP profile with my headset
- if I've "coupled" the modules the wrong way, they'll probably block
each other's functionality - especially, if ALSA and pulseaudio try to
use the Bluez device at the same time ...

Kind regards
Peter