[arch-general] manually configure network

mick howe mickhowe292 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 03:29:38 UTC 2017

On 13 July 2017 at 01:17, Mrrob <rob at mrrob.info> wrote:

> On 13/07/17 07:09, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
>
>> I've just changed ISP and I can't get the changed configuration to stick.
>>
>> I'm using 'static IP address - manual assignment' from Network
>> configuration wiki page.
>>
>> I need to change my address from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.20.1/24.
>>
>> using iproute2 tools as per wiki I can get everything working UNTIL I
>> reboot, at which time some of the settings show the old values and others
>> the new.
>>
>> I've been manually configuring these settings without problems since I
>> started using linux in 1994.
>>

> I assume that (as well as changing ISPs) you have changed your router and
> it has a different internal range to the old one.

​Correct, and the ISP failed to include modem password in the box.

> If you have an IP address automatically after booting then something is
> bringing up the network automatically. Assuming your Arch install is newer
> than 2013 then I would expect you've configured netctl to manage the
> interface.

​I had to reinstal when I moved in April 2013, would have used the simplest
manual method
​

> Look in /etc/netctl

 [mick at cave ~]$ ls -aR /etc/netctl/etc/netctl:
.  ..  examples  hooks  interfaces

> /etc/netctl/examples:
> .             ethernet-static tunnel     wireless-wpa
> ..            macvlan-dhcp  tuntap     wireless-wpa-config
> bonding  macvlan-static vlan-dhcp wireless-wpa-configsection
> bridge    mobile_ppp      vlan-static    wireless-wpa-static
> ethernet-custom  openvswitch      wireless-open
> ethernet-dhcp
> ​  ​
> pppoe
> ​   ​
> wireless-wep
>
> /etc/netctl/hooks:
> .  ..
>
> /etc/netctl/interfaces:
> .  ..
>

> and
>
> $ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
>
>  [mick at cave ~]$ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
UNIT FILE                             STATE
org.cups.cupsd.path                   enabled
autovt at .service                       enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service enabled
display-manager.service               enabled
getty at .service                        enabled
httpd.service                         enabled
lxdm.service                          enabled
nmbd.service                          enabled
openntpd.service                      enabled
org.cups.cupsd.service                enabled
postgresql.service                    enabled
smbd.service                          enabled
systemd-networkd.service              enabled
systemd-resolved.service              enabled
org.cups.cupsd.socket                 enabled
systemd-networkd.socket               enabled
remote-fs.target                      enabled

18 unit files listed.
lines 1-21
​is blahbluhblah​network1.service the guilty party or is it
systemd-networkd.service?

what am I looking for in these?