[arch-general] manually configure network

Mrrob rob at mrrob.info
Thu Jul 13 03:47:23 UTC 2017

On 13/07/17 11:29, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
> On 13 July 2017 at 01:17, Mrrob <rob at mrrob.info> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/17 07:09, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
>>
>>> I've just changed ISP and I can't get the changed configuration to stick.
>>>
>>> I'm using 'static IP address - manual assignment' from Network
>>> configuration wiki page.
>>>
>>> I need to change my address from 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.20.1/24.
>>>
>>> using iproute2 tools as per wiki I can get everything working UNTIL I
>>> reboot, at which time some of the settings show the old values and others
>>> the new.
>>>
>>> I've been manually configuring these settings without problems since I
>>> started using linux in 1994.
>>>

>> I assume that (as well as changing ISPs) you have changed your router and
>> it has a different internal range to the old one.
>>
> ​Correct, and the ISP failed to include modem password in the box.
>

>> If you have an IP address automatically after booting then something is
>> bringing up the network automatically. Assuming your Arch install is newer
>> than 2013 then I would expect you've configured netctl to manage the
>> interface.
>>
> ​I had to reinstal when I moved in April 2013, would have used the simplest
> manual method
>>

>> Look in /etc/netctl
>>
>   [mick at cave ~]$ ls -aR /etc/netctl/etc/netctl:
> .  ..  examples  hooks  interfaces
>
>> /etc/netctl/examples:
>> .             ethernet-static tunnel     wireless-wpa
>> ..            macvlan-dhcp  tuntap     wireless-wpa-config
>> bonding  macvlan-static vlan-dhcp wireless-wpa-configsection
>> bridge    mobile_ppp      vlan-static    wireless-wpa-static
>> ethernet-custom  openvswitch      wireless-open
>> ethernet-dhcp
>> ​  ​
>> pppoe
>> ​   ​
>> wireless-wep
>>
>> /etc/netctl/hooks:
>> .  ..
>>
>> /etc/netctl/interfaces:
>> .  ..
>>

>> and
>>
>> $ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
>>
>>   [mick at cave ~]$ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
> UNIT FILE                             STATE
> org.cups.cupsd.path                   enabled
> autovt at .service                       enabled
> dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service enabled
> dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service enabled
> display-manager.service               enabled
> getty at .service                        enabled
> httpd.service                         enabled
> lxdm.service                          enabled
> nmbd.service                          enabled
> openntpd.service                      enabled
> org.cups.cupsd.service                enabled
> postgresql.service                    enabled
> smbd.service                          enabled
> systemd-networkd.service              enabled
> systemd-resolved.service              enabled
> org.cups.cupsd.socket                 enabled
> [...]

_They_ announced the change from netcfg to netctl on the 10th of April 2013. This isn't entirely relevant to the problem
  but may give insight into how you originally set it up. [0] If you want you can look at the old versions of the wiki
page for netcfg.

It looks like systemd-networkd.service is responsible [1]. I suggest you look to reconfigure that perhaps by looking for
foo.network configs in /etc/systemd/network/ or using networkctl.

[0] https://www.archlinux.org/news/netctl-is-now-in-core/
[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-networkd

---
mrrob