[arch-general] Why there is no NetworkManager in ArchISO

Martin Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 05:50:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Junayeed Ahnaf via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why is there no NetworkManager in ArchISO? Isn't it widely accepted as
> the go to method of connecting to internet in Linux? Is there any reason
> for it not to be default?

Network manager actually limits users in that, when started, it plugs
its own configuration atop of whatever the user is doing manually.
Some features you might need are not supported like setting up a
bridge, too. Additionally, the wiki [0] lists quite a list of other
problems you might have from using it, so... what was the question?
Why the devs choose not to include it in the default distribution?

Read up on systemd-networkd [1], and if you need wifi, wpa_supplicant
[2], and tell us why you still think you want to force other people to
use a suboptimal solution so you don't have to figure out how simply
text based, system-wide configuration by the root user is better for
you... Did we not yet go into how nm needs to figure out in what ways
a user is allowed to configure a system's network and therefore
uses... policikit? Eww.

cheers!
mar77i

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager