[arch-general] Dual boot issue, windows doesn't show up on grub

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jul 27 04:39:40 UTC 2017

On 07/26/2017 03:17 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the bootloader has got nothing to do with the way Windows or Linux does
> handle the hardware clock. You have to chose for each operating
> system's install, Windows, Linux A, Linux B, Linux n, BSD etc. how to
> handle the time. IOW you need to set it for each install. It's your
> decision what you chose.

Yes, Ralf, thanks,

  That was the purpose. I know which boot loader you use has nothing to do
with the hwclock setting, but the OS, once booted -- will. I know of two ways
that people can handle the difference between windows wanting localtime and
Linux wanting UTC, 1) a windows registry hack telling win the hwclock is in
UTC, or 2) configuring Linux to use localtime (no longer recommended).

  (well, in fact, neither are recommended, but I was curious if there was some
other way, other than a hack in the boot process adding or subtracting the
difference between UTC and localtime and calling hwclock with either -s or -w
to do it)

  I have a 2-drive laptop that came with w10 and I added a 1T platter for
Linux to and I have simply been choosing the drive to boot via the boot drive
option in the bios after manually adding/subtracting time from the time in the
bios. Somewhat a pain, but given I only boot w10 every week or so to let it
update, not a big deal.

  Thanks for the responses, seems things here are comfortably the same.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.