[arch-general] broken package stops pacstrap

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 28 01:42:54 UTC 2017

On 07/27/2017 08:21 PM, mick howe via arch-general wrote:
> Trying to install arch i686 on my IBM x345 using 2015 07 install media (yes
> I know its 2 years old). Get as far as running pacstrap and it comes to a
> crashing halt on checking package integrity
>
> error: krb5 : signature from "Levente Polyak (anthraxx)
> levente at leventepolyak.net> " is unknown trust
> :: File /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg/krb5-1.15.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz is
> corrupted (invalid or corrupted package PGP signature)).
>
> How can I get past this crash

That's not a broken package, that is a PGP signature verification error.
I'd say to run pacman with the --debug flag (pacstrap will pass it on to
pacman for you), except the problem is fairly obvious -- the
archlinux-keyring package has been updated a number of times since that ISO.

I suggest you use the current, up-to-date ISO built and hosted on
https://archlinux32.org which is where the official/affiliated efforts
to preserve i686 are being held. Two of the Arch Devs/TUs (Bartłomiej
Piotrowski and Balló György) are involved with the project, and once
official support for i686 is dropped at the end of the year, you will
need to migrate to archlinux32 anyway.

Note that we are optimistic that archlinux32 can receive official
recognition as a tier-two architecture and thus remain affiliated with
archlinux.org itself. :)

Regardless, the 2-year-old ISO will not work. You need an ISO which has
pacman 5 on it, in order to have pacman hooks run. These hooks are
important for several reasons, including the fact that they are used to
generate an initramfs and therefore allow you to boot into your
installation. :)

The earliest archlinux.org archiso that will work for you is the March
2016 one, and even then you will have to update the archlinux-keyring
package on its own in order to fix keys that expired and were renewed or
replaced in the two years since your ISO.

--
Eli Schwartz