[arch-general] ReadyDLNA/MiniDLNA doesn't work behind wireless

ITwrx.org info at itwrx.org
Mon Jun 5 15:12:13 UTC 2017

On 06/05/2017 04:37 AM, Giovanni Santini via arch-general wrote:
> The computer I was referring to is the server I am trying to access.
> I've accessed the webpage from my laptop.
>
> There is a strange thing indeed: the server has actually no firewall,
> however the 1900 UDP port, which should be open for SSDP seems closed.
>
> Here it is the result of some investigation
> ---
> # On my laptop
> $ nmap -sU -p 1900 santini_server
> Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-05 11:32 ora legale
> Europa occidentale
> Nmap scan report for santini_server (192.168.0.109)
> Host is up (0.027s latency).
> PORT     STATE  SERVICE
> 1900/udp closed upnp
> MAC Address: 00:1E:2A:43:47:3E (Netgear)
>
> Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.43 seconds
>
> # On the server
> $ sudo iptables --list
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> ---
> No idea why MiniDLNA does not check the port.
i just installed minidlna and got it working from vlc over wireless. it
didn't work at first. "systemctl status minindlna" showed that it wasn't
able to identify the network interface i provided. i have no idea
why(old method in minidlna?). i commented that line in config back out
and made sure minidlna could read my testing media directory and it
worked at that point. i used nmap -sS -sU -T4 -A -v 192.168.1.1 to see
if port 8200 was open. it was.

so, if "systemctl status minidlna" or "journalctl -b" shows no problems
for minidlna then maybe test with nmap from both wired and wireless and
see if there is a difference. If there is, then you have network config
issue. the arch wiki page for minidlna has a section about wireless in
the troubleshooting section i notice.