[arch-general] Kde + Gnome dual-install issues

Francesco Porro frapox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 14:15:21 UTC 2017

Il giorno mar, 27/06/2017 alle 15.04 +0200, Simon Brulhart ha scritto:
> > But my main issue is still here (double click on a desktop folder
> > triggers Dolphin  instead of Nautilus *in a Gnome session*). Have
> > you
> > any ideas about anything that could cause this? It's very
> > frustrating.
>
> A while ago I had a similar issue. Firefox would open folders with
> dolphin instead of nautilus, even though I was running GNOME and I
> had
> set nautilus as the default for inode/directory.
>
> It turned out to be a conflict between two DBUS service definition
> for
> the same interface (org.freedesktop.FileManager1), and as a
> workaround I
> created a symbolic link in ~/.local/share/dbus-1/services to
> nautilus'
> service definition
> (/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service).

Oh yeah, this one works! :D  It fixed my problem: finally, I got
Nautilus opened on double-clicking desktop folders, instead of Dolphin!
Many Thanks, Simon! :)

> As I understand it worked because services defined in ~/.local/share/
> have a higher priority. See
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-
> latest.html#variables

Yes, I think so too. I'm gonna look into this a little more, because I
don't know that much about dbus and how it works. It's probably
responsible also for those others gnome's deamons running in my Plasma
session.

> BTW the thread about "xfce4-notifyd issues" also mentions conflicts
> between DBUS services.

So I'm going to read that thread too. Maybe, if this dbus-related
issues are quite frequent (at least in this dual-DE scenario), it could
be worth a mention in the wiki? Just a suggestion/proposal for the
high-skilled guys who read this :) .

I'm having another trouble, but this time is about QT-apps looks on
Gnome, so maybe it's better discussing to a new mail-thread.

Thanx again!

--
fp
PGP: 0x45399C26