[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR ToS (aka making AUR user names public)

Henrik Danielsson h.danielsson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:20:19 UTC 2017

> Privacy is a principle. You seem not to understand the difference
> between giving somebody data with the formal permission to use this data
> and data that simply is available for everybody, but not explicitly
> handed over to somebody. Paranoia isn't involved in my concern.

My standpoint is that privacy does not apply to this kind of public
information, simply because it's not private and by no means sensitive
(people freely chose the username and other visible info they posted, no?).
Thus, no, I see no difference and really no point in even considering
trying to keep such information private.

What anyone does with the freely available information posted in the AUR is
up to them ("mining" it or handing it over to someone else included), we
could not do anything about it anyway, nor would I even care if I was in
that list or not, since there seems to be no ToS between the one submitting
that information and the one publishing it. Since it was freely submitted
without any terms, I can simply not find any restrictions on its usage.

Yes, we should have a ToS to at least keep the principle of privacy alive.
But let's face it, real privacy online has been dead for long, if it ever
existed.

If there was a ToS, the situation would perhaps have been different, at
least legally. I'm no legal expert of course, but to me it makes perfect
sense that if you posted something on the internet, in a very public space,
you can have no expectations of keeping any of that information private in
any way, nor any information easily associated with.
No, I don't see that as a problem, at least not if you never explicitly
agreed that information would not be shared. What I really want to keep
private I don't post anywhere.