[arch-general] Firefox 52 Audio broken

jjgaris jjgaris at mailbox.org
Tue Mar 7 13:09:16 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:48:59PM +0100, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> On 2017-03-07 10:26, jjgaris via arch-general wrote:

> >> Upstream changed to pulseaudio by default. Arch follows upstream
> >>
> >> You can compile firefox yourself to set it being alsa only.

> > Building firefox takes hours making this not really an option for many users.
> > Arch has deviated before from the upstream default, I see no reason why we should follow upstream by restricting the
> > choice of the user.
> >

> Convince upstream to bring Alsa back as default. That's pretty much EOT
> from anyone involved into packaging in Arch.
>
> BP

There is no reason to restrict the use of audio servers because upstream uses a hard dependency by default.

A lot of work and time has been spend by a lot of people to build alternative audioservers (like JACK) and enable them
to be used by firefox. This work is pretty much wasted if arch prevents users from choosing their own audio servers. The
possibility of compiling the software ourselfs won't change that since very few will/can do that.

One solution I could think of is an alternative firefox package (not in AUR) that still allows users to make their own
choice. Would that be a possibility?