[arch-general] How to "decorate" a package build?

ProgAndy admin at progandy.de
Wed Mar 8 10:55:41 UTC 2017

Am 08.03.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Peter Nabbefeld:

> Hello,
>
> is it possible to decorate a package build, i.e. set some prconditions
> (like exporting variables) and probably even change the build process
> (compile instead of copying just the binaries)?
>
> E.g., to modify the firefox package update to first compile with
> "--enable-alsa". Of course, I would have to create my own package in a
> private repository. The new PKGBUILD file would need to refer the
> original one, to get e.g. the package version number. However, the
> private package would always have the same version, so the official
> package change needs to be hooked to the generic private package:
>
> Official Package Changed --«Signal»--> Private Package Update
> --«Inherits»--> Official Package Update
>
> Kind regards
> P.

Hello,

That is impossible with pacman.

What you can do is create a local repository that is included in the
automatic pacman upgrade. Then write a shell script that checks for
updates of the arch package, merges it with your local changes, build it
and add it to the repository. You should change the package name with
e.g. a prefix or suffix and add the original package as a conflict to
make it work properly. Now your custom version is available for the next
pacman upgrade.

--

A.