[arch-general] How to "decorate" a package build?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:30:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:55 AM, ProgAndy <admin at progandy.de> wrote:

> Am 08.03.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Peter Nabbefeld:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> is it possible to decorate a package build, i.e. set some prconditions
>> (like exporting variables) and probably even change the build process
>> (compile instead of copying just the binaries)?
>> .
>>

> Hello,
>

> That is impossible with pacman.
>
> What you can do is create a local repository that is included in the
> automatic pacman upgrade. Then write a shell script that checks for updates
> of the arch package, merges it with your local changes, build it and add it
> to the repository. You should change the package name with e.g. a prefix or
> suffix and add the original package as a conflict to make it work properly.
> Now your custom version is available for the next pacman upgrade.

You can also use the PKGBUILD to change the name of the package you build
and make your own version which you can customise or alter as you wish for
the build process. For example build it as package called say ff (pkgname=ff
) instead of firefox, and then run it in parallel to the official build. So
long users know to run ff instead of the stock version I can't see a
problem with that?

--
mike c