[arch-general] What's the best way of packaging golang packages?

Iru Cai mytbk920423 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 11:40:17 UTC 2017

Sorry for replying so late but I've just seen this mail.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 17-03-09 00:13:59, Iru Cai via arch-general wrote:
> > Go programs are compiled to a single binary that do not link
> > to other go libraries, so they doesn't depend on other go packages.
>
> You answered your question here, haven't you?

That's what I think of go packages. They don't depend on any other go
packages, but actually the source code of a lot of go packages depend on
other source packages.

> > I'm also confused when I see node.js packages. I see many of the packages
> > are built using just an `npm install' so the packaging process will pull
> > lot of code, but I think it's better than that in go because the node.js
> > packages are installed in the user home so that it won't be installed
> again
> > when another node.js package needs the same dependency.
>
> Are you saying that building a go program should re-use user-installed go
> packages?

Yes, that's my point. I don't like to use `go get` to get other source code
that doesn't belong to the packaged software and is not in PKGBUILD.

Also, if I build go packages without internet access (e.g. in Open Build
System), I can't build this package.

--
Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send
OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/