[arch-general] pavucontrol depency question

Friedrich Strohmaier damokles4-listen at bits-fritz.de
Sun Mar 19 23:11:58 UTC 2017

Hi all,

some time ago xfce sorted out xfce4-mixer in favour of xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin.
- agreed removing xfce4-mixer
- Installed xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin - no sound mixing available at all
- Installed optional dependency pavucontrol - no sound mixing available - no
  connection to pulseaudio server
- Installed optional dependency pulsaudio - yay! sound mixing up an running.

I don't understand much about dependency quirks but I wonder about the reason
both dependencies beeing made optional.
xfce4-pulsaudio-plugin is out of any functionality without working pavucontrol
pavucontrol is out of any functionality without a running pulseaudio server.

So what is the reason making both dependencies optional?
--
Friedrich