[arch-general] [RFC] Make Archlinux websites mobile friendly

Alif M. A. alive4ever at live.com
Mon Mar 27 19:07:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 03:57:34PM +0000, Alif M. A. wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have Arch websites mobile friendly, so that
> it can be viewed comfortably on any devices with different screen size.
>
> For starting point, let's make the wiki, which is the main source of
> information, mobile friendly.
>
> It's just a matter of adding meta viewport tag and another CSS file(s)
> for smaller screen sizes.

The wiki page has been mobile friendly for a while, with the help of
MobileFrontend extension for Mediawiki.

Now, let's put some work for the BBS.

I have been able to import archbbs-jp mobile.css for use with Arch
FluxBB. Below is the screenshot of how Arch BBS displayed with
mobile.css :

https://transfer.sh/H3QeC/archbbs_wip.png

Viewing the forum works fine so far.

For Arch web admins/developers and those interested in making Arch
websites mobile friendly, my work is available under 'mobile-friendly'
branch on this git repository :

https://bitbucket.org/alive4ever/bbs.archlinux.org

Feel free to suggest anything to make it better.