[arch-general] [mpd+ncmpcpp] mpd hangs when manually moving forward on track, or to nex track

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 03:05:49 UTC 2017

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If someone is familiar with mpd (user, non root) + ncmpcpp on Arch,
> perhaps can help me out...
>
> Whenever I move forward/backward on the same playing track (f/b), mpd
> just hangs, usually so hard, that mpd needs to be restarted to do
> anything.  A workaround is to pause the track, and then move
> forward/backward, and then play again, most of the time that works...
>
> When playing a track, and then moving to next/prior track (>/<), then
> mpd hangs.  To get it back alive, it's enough to stop mpd (s), and
> start any track (enter).  The pause work around for moving
> forward/backward on the same track doesn't work, mpd keeps hanging,
> but stopping mpd (s), and starting any track (enter) works.  Stopping
> mpd (s), to move to the next track as a work around doesn't work,
> given there's no current track playing, therefore mpd can find the
> next...
>
> So it's sort of weird that moving around where to play mpd, kinds of
> makes it hang...
>
> BTW, I have 2 mpd outputs, the pulse output but also a visual fifo,
> however by keeping only the pulse audio doesn't help, so It's not
> related to the visual fifo...

OK, for those who replied, it basically works like that in all my
boxes, most are mintbox 2 with 2 core i5 as processors, intel hda
audio and SATA SSD.  One laptop is an HP EliteBook 840 G3 with 2 core
i7 processors, intel hda audio (or plantronics USB audio headset) and
PCIe SSD.  One laptop is aToshiba nb505 with Atom 64 processor, intel
hda and SATA SSD.

All of them use up to date x86_64 Arch, and have the same behavior.
The related packets:

mpd 0.20.6-1
libmpdclient 2.11-1
libmpd 11.8.17-2
ncmpcpp 0.7.7-4
pulseaudio 10.0-2
linux 4.10.5-1

Notice I recompiled the ncmpcpp package getting the exact same
behavior on the EliteBook.

Regarding what I'm playing, any ogg vorbis file I have experience the
same.  I don't have  mp3 files.  It doesn't matter if the files are in
local SSD, or network mounted drive.  In any case is the same.

I didn't file a bug at 1st, hopping it was a known issue perhaps, and
people would know about a workaround.  See the behavior can be
reproduced on any machine I try, all Arch x86_64.  I haven't tried
ncmpc (I like ncmpcpp better), but moc doesn't have any issues, though
I prefer mpd...

I'll try ncmpc next, to see if I only get the behavior with ncmpcpp...

Thanks,

--
Javier