[arch-general] AIF-NG (feedback/Request for Comments)

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Sun May 7 19:05:18 UTC 2017

Hello!

Some of you may remember AIF (Arch Installation Framework). However, the
project is dead ([0]) and has been for quite some time.

Being that most major distributions have a way of installing their
distribution in an unattended manner/via PXE:

-Debian (and derivatives, incl. Ubuntu): preseed
-RHEL/CentOS/SuSE (and derivatives): kickstart (cobbler, etc.)

I felt that Arch would benefit from something similar. As such, I have
written AIF-NG[1]. It's written in python 3 and uses an XML-driven
configuration (see the documentation[2] for details[3]).

I would welcome feedback on this (preferably via my bugtracker[4] unless
it happens to be discussion-oriented), as I'd like to get it mature
enough to propose it for inclusion in the official Arch install media
(currently for this to be supported, that would only require two things:
the "python" and "aif" (or "aif-git") packages, which can be found on
the AUR[5][6]).

[0] https://github.com/Dieterbe/aif
[1] https://git.square-r00t.net/AIF-NG
[2] https://aif.square-r00t.net/