[arch-general] [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes prflr88 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 02:27:21 UTC 2017

> There we go. Far from perfect, happy to hear suggestions from spirits of
> poetry.
>
> ---
>
> Due to high maintenance costs of rsync server and scripts related to
> Arch Build System, we have decided to deprecate the `abs` tool and rsync
> as endorsed way of obtaining PKGBUILDs tree.
>
> The `asp` tool, available in [extra], provides similar functionality to
> `abs`.  `asp export pkgname` can be used as direct alternative; more
> information about usage can be found in [its documentation][asp].
> Additionally Subversion sparse checkouts, as described [here][svn], can
> be used to achieve similar effect.  For fetching all PKGBUILDs, the best
> way is cloning [svntogit][git] mirrors.
>
> While `extra/abs` package has been already dropped, rsync endpoint will
> be disabled by the end of the month.
>
> [asp]: https://github.com/falconindy/asp/blob/master/man/asp.1.txt
> [svn]: https://www.archlinux.org/svn/
> [git]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/

You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by rsync
to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the pkgbuilds
repo clones (PKGBUILDs).

Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention that
for cloning one should use git, that intentional or inconsistenty?

--
*Pablo Lezaeta*