[arch-general] [DRAFT] Deprecation of the ABS tool and rsync server

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed May 24 17:08:45 UTC 2017

On 05/10/2017 02:14 AM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> For some reason I sent this to arch-dev-public instead, sending again here…
>
> On 2017-05-10 04:27, Pablo Roberto Lezaeta Reyes via arch-general
> wrote:
>> You should clarify if this affect user cloning the servers repos by
>> rsync to set they non-tiered local repos (*.pkg.tag.xzs) or just the
>> pkgbuilds repo clones (PKGBUILDs).
>
> That's better phrased in Florian's revision, but both mention PKGBUILDs,
> so I'm not sure if there is anything more to explain.
>
>> Also mention devtools still depend on subversion despite you mention
>> that for cloning one should use git, that intentional or
>> inconsistenty?
>
> devtools depending on svn has nothing to do with ABS; the paragraph you
> refer to describes methods of obtaining full PKGBUILDs tree.
>
> Bartłomiej

Sad, but I understand the 'cost' issue. (seems like it would be easier to
pass-the-hat and cover the costs, but that's way above my Arch pay-grade...)

So if I understand the move, the removal of ABS is to reduce cost by removing
the ability to clone the whole PKGBUILD tree from an rsync server and
basically pushing everything to a single-package export from the git repo on
an 'as needed basis' or allowing a sparse clone of the tree in its place?

abs certainly was a bit part of the Arch KISS philosophy, with a single
command mirroring the build system to /var. Was darn convenient to... Hard to
see how the 84M (uncompressed) it requires was that big of a cost issue, but I
guess it adds up.

So from now on, we use 'asp export pkgname'. Is it recommended that we `sudo
rm -rf /var/abs` at the end of the month? It doesn't look like it will have
any use under the new way of doing things.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.