[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Switching the bugtracker to Bugzilla

William Gathoye william at gathoye.be
Sun Nov 19 16:58:55 UTC 2017

On 11/19/2017 04:24 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:

> OTOH, gitlab is complicated to package and occasionally breaks, which
> would be embarrassing if we could not report bugs against the package
> because the package is broken and we don't have a bugtracker...

I'll be using Gitlab professionally on Arch Linux. So as soon I become a
TU (if it happen the Arch Linux community accepts me ;)) I think I'll
help Sven-Hendrik Haase in this process. Packaging Gitlab as a single
person is indeed a hard task.

> This whole mindset seems to come from a world which is dominated by
> developers of some project who don't have time to handle every bug
> report, are already resigned to only fixing the most visible bugs or the
> ones with the most insistent reporters who don't ever give up when a
> bugfix takes a long time due to the aforementioned issue of developers
> not having enough time to even look at bugs, let alone fix them, and
> want some way to sweep their trash under the rug so they don't have to
> see the warts.
>
> Just in case you were wondering how I feel about this.

Thanks Eli for your POV.

This is why at The Document Foundation and Mattermost, we have a QA team
(or at least one or two persons) which checks if the bugs are valid and
put in cc the people that have the abilities to work on it. I know all
of us have a life aside FOSS projects, but sometimes, even if the dev
put in cc cannot actually work on the fix for the bug itself, he might
answer a question in 2 minutes and help another one that will actually
do the fix for him: bringing synergy in the process.

From my understanding and the time I spent following this community (I'm
subscribed to all Arch Linux public mailing lists and have been reading
all the message every weekend since 2012), a true bug triager person is
something I haven't seen in Arch yet (unless I'm wrong).

On 11/19/2017 05:16 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On 11/19/2017 11:04 AM, Florian Pritz via arch-general wrote:
>>
>> Just to clarify: Gabriel Souza Franco (gbsf) has put quite a lot of work
>> into this and some others have also worked on parts, but we haven't yet
>> assembled all these parts or come up with a migration plan. It's a
>> complex process and the people with sufficient access to deal with it
>> are sadly quite busy. Additionally svn works well enough for our use
>> case and other, more pressing, issues get priority. Git is certainly not
>> forgotten and work will continue, but it may take a while until it's done.
>
> Yes, this is a good point. :o
>
> I should have said "no one has put in all the work to finish". Apologies.

Great. This is maybe a topic I'll be able to contribute to then as
having to play with svn is something that annoys me during my daily
life. Yet another point I'll be able to put in my application letter
(email) when comes the time for me to apply to become a TU. :)

Have a good end of weekend.

Regards,

--
William Gathoye