[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Switching the bugtracker to Bugzilla

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 19 17:54:20 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-19 17:58, William Gathoye wrote:
> I'll be using Gitlab professionally on Arch Linux. So as soon I become a
> TU (if it happen the Arch Linux community accepts me ;)) I think I'll
> help Sven-Hendrik Haase in this process. Packaging Gitlab as a single
> person is indeed a hard task.

There is more to reliability of service than correct and reliable
packaging. By any means Gitlab isn't "fire & forget" type of project and
with my infra team hat on, I'm completely unwilling to spend my evenings
or lunches on making sure it's running properly.

> This is why at The Document Foundation and Mattermost, we have a QA team
> (or at least one or two persons) which checks if the bugs are valid and
> put in cc the people that have the abilities to work on it. I know all
> of us have a life aside FOSS projects, but sometimes, even if the dev
> put in cc cannot actually work on the fix for the bug itself, he might
> answer a question in 2 minutes and help another one that will actually
> do the fix for him: bringing synergy in the process.
>
> From my understanding and the time I spent following this community (I'm
> subscribed to all Arch Linux public mailing lists and have been reading
> all the message every weekend since 2012), a true bug triager person is
> something I haven't seen in Arch yet (unless I'm wrong).

With all due respect, we are not a foundation or project that also sells
membership or deployments/hosted service. We already have people
responsible for bug triaging, some of packagers also chime in
occasionally. It's being accomplished fully in free time, so I don't see
the point of comparison. This includes finding people who can actually
fix given bug if someone who should do that is missing. Forgive us for
not doing as good job as others, but in my opinion, we're doing quite fine.

Bartłomiej