[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Switching the bugtracker to Bugzilla

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 21 08:18:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-19 20:11, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> I've refrained from commenting on this topic because I don't want to
> sound ungrateful people are taking the time to work on a fairly
> extensive migration off flyspray, but I'm not looking forward to
> Bugzilla (and I've contributed to a lot of Bugzilla-based projects in
> the past). It has the same mindset as Jira, making filing an issue a
> similar endeavour as filing taxes and creating artificial meta-work
> for both users and triagers.
> I strongly agree something like Gogs or Gitlab would be a much better
> path forward. Especially if, as Jelle was initially saying, the goal
> is for it to be "extended to our wishes".
> Furthermore, Gitlab has native support for federated login which we
> seriously could start using. Separate logins for bug tracker, BBS AUR,
> wiki, archweb and all the mailing lists is... eh.
>
> J. Leclanche

This is example of wishful thinking and misunderstanding what our
requirements are. Reporting anything on Bugzilla isn't different from
using Flyspray, and we're far from "the most friendly distribution of
the year" title anyway.

Neither Gogs or Gitlab are primarily issue trackers and I hope you
noticed that we're not discussing integrated code hosting solution.

Calling Gogs extendable is overstatement. As far as I know, Gitlab
supports external authentication providers only in the enterprise
edition. Even if something has changed about it recently, somehow I
doubt you're going to join #archlinux-devops tomorrow and say that
you're eager to both maintain Gitlab and LDAP deployments, and then
figure out LDAP integration everywhere.

Let's just be realistic about what we need and what we can accomplish.

Bartłomiej