[arch-general] gnucash [aur]->[community]?

Eric Blau eblau at eblau.com
Tue Oct 10 20:34:35 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Morten Linderud <morten at linderud.pw> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 03:49:27PM -0400, Ido Rosen wrote:
>> Gnucash has 44 votes on AUR.  It's useful (and very old, stable)
>> accounting/bookkeeping software.  Would any TUs be willing to migrate it
>> from AUR to [community]?
>>
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gnucash/
>
> It was moved from [extra] on the 30th of june because it still depends on
> webkitgtk2, which is flawed and has multiple security issues.

While it is true that webkitgtk2 has security vulnerabilities and
should not be used for web browsing, web apps, etc., gnucash merely
uses it to generate reports based on your own data. As such, it's
likely not vulnerable to the same security issues as other web
applications based on it.

I know the developers are in the process of migrating away from it,
but until that time, I think it should be supported and not dropped
for the above reason.

Regards,
Eric