[arch-general] Login Statistics Similar to Centos

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 1 19:41:40 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 08:38:24PM +0200, William Gathoye wrote:

> On 09/01/2017 08:26 PM, brent s. wrote:
>
> > You don't execute pam_lastlog.so directly.
>
> > As shown, pam is calling the pam_lastlog.so object (which is why you
> > can't execute it; it's not an executable, it's a Shared Object).
>
> Ok. Actually, I saw this was a shared object, and I wondered this is the
> first time  was seeing a SO which was executable. This confirms y
> assumption :)

Most .so files are executable, albeit for historic reasons... And you don't
need to directly execute it. The manpage even has EXAMPLES section that
explains how to hook pam_lastlog into your PAM setup. You most likely need to
call is with some arguments. For instance, on a fedora 26 system:
: grep pam_lastlog /etc/pam.d/postlogin-ac
session     [default=1]   pam_lastlog.so nowtmp silent
session     optional      pam_lastlog.so silent noupdate showfailed