[arch-general] gnome fix needed

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Sep 14 20:30:47 UTC 2017

On 09/10/2017 04:41 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> please run sudo -H Xorg --configure and let me know if that command errors out
> with a segmentation fault at address 0x50 or any other address

  The 'segmentation fault at address 0x50' is a bug -- plain and simple. Given
the address referenced is way, way down in the system-reserved memory range,
the most likely cause is an unitialized pointer, or an attempt to access a
pointer outside the bounds of an allocated block of memory.

  Neither I, nor anyone else, can tell you where the segfault is being
triggered, but a quick look at 'man Xorg' does provide a few hints on 'Xorg
-configure' (not --configure):

-configure
    When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all video driver
modules, probes for available hardware, and writes out an initial xorg.conf(5)
file based on what was detected. This option currently has some problems on
some platforms, but in most cases it is a good way to bootstrap the
configuration process. This option is only available when the server is run as
root (i.e, with real-uid 0).

  It would be worth checking whether your platform is one where -configure
"currently has some problems."

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.