[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] removed mariadb 10.1.27 from [testing]

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Tue Sep 26 21:06:20 UTC 2017

Genes Lists via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> on Tue, 2017/09/26
16:41:
> On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 21:28 +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > after the release of 10.1.27 upstream was made aware of a regression,
> > so
> > the release has been pulled from the downloads system. The fix will
> > be
> > in 10.1.28.
> > I removed mariadb 10.1.27 packages from [testing].
>
> Thank you Christian - related note - can you share  thoughts around
> 10.2?

We tried to upgrade to MariaDB 10.2.6, which ended in a disaster. The client
library has been renamed from libmysqlclient to libmariadb and it has seen
structural changes for data types. Programs fail to link or - if they do
link - crash or misbehave, including data corruption.

I do not see any way to upgrade any time soon. IMHO data structures have to
be made opaque in favor of accessing data via functions.

OpenSSL suffered a similar problem, which has been solved with version 1.1.0.
MariaDB upstream would have to do something similar.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)