[arch-general] procps-ng 3.3.13 and its new topdefaultrc

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 11 20:20:10 UTC 2018

On 04/11/2018 12:08 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> It's ironic, I guess, that the procps-ng developers did this in order to
> provoke people into learning how to configure top, but now we have
> people preferring the old look, who complain when the default changes,
> and then when we revert to the old look we have people complaining about
> the old look, but no one seems interested in, well, configuring it as
> upstream intended...
>
> (Kudos to Jonathon for being principled enough in both desiring
> distro-customized defaults for Manjaro users and implementing them the
> right way. I wonder if anyone will actually learn how to use top though...)

It's ironic the configuration allowing the choice between the new/old
interfaces isn't described clearly, or at all, in 'man top'. The Alternate
Display 'A', has nothing whatsoever to do with whether modern top is display.
From my read of the man page, neither an option concerning the modern top
display, or its build flag are discussed at all.

In fact, the only reference to the build flag is on line 8633 of the configure.ac:

AC_ARG_ENABLE([modern-top],
  AS_HELP_STRING([--disable-modern-top], [disable new startup defaults, return
to original top]),
  [], [enable_modern_top=yes]
)

The only changes (in source code - NEWS file) relevant to modern-top and
config file, is that as of 3.3.5 modern-top will honor the old config file
without having to --disable-modern-top, but this has nothing to do with the
interface and there is no discussion whatsoever about configuring between the
two interfaces.

Did I miss something obvious? Are you suggesting there is a simply toprc flag
that allows choosing between old and new top interfaces?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.