[arch-general] [FIXED] Re: Update to samba, smbclient, libwbclient breaks standalone file service/cifs mounts

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:14:55 UTC 2018

On 04/24/2018 10:32 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>   Downgrading to 4.7.6 restore full functionality. Apparently there are
> problems with the 4.8 rollout on samba at lists.samba.org. If you have a
> production box serving files in standalone mode -- double check your access
> after update.

The service files have changed -- that is the primary problem. I was able to
find the new service files grepping the package listing.

The changes are,

  smbd.service  -- replaced by -- smb.service
  nmbd.service  -- replaced by -- nmb.service

Normal service file change update required:

# systemctl stop smbd
# systemctl stop nmbd
# systemctl disable smbd
# systemctl disable nmbd
# systemctl enable smb
# systemctl enable nmb
# systemctl start smb
# systemctl start nmb

This solved the breakage. The journalctl -xe message about needing winbing in
standalone mode was misinterpreted. samba 4.8 is working.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.