[arch-general] xrandr with XPS 13" (3840x2160) HiDPI and 30" (2560x1600) LowDPI

Eric Blau eblau at eblau.com
Wed Aug 1 13:00:11 UTC 2018

Hi Tyler,

I did a lot of experimenting a while back to find something that works well
for me. I have a MacBook Pro with a HiDPI screen connected to two 1080p
external monitors via ThunderBolt-to-DisplayPort adapters. I place my
MacBook Pro to the right of the two external monitors. I also run i3.
Here's what I found worked for me:

.Xresources contains:
Xft.dpi: 220

.xinitrc contains:
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
export GDK_SCALE=1.5
export GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.75
exec i3

xrandr command for external monitors:
xrandr --output DP1 --scale 1.5x1.5 --auto --pos 0x0 --primary --output DP2
--scale 1.5x1.5 --auto --pos 2880x0 --output eDP1 --mode 1920x1200 --pos
5760x0

xrandr command for switching back to internal laptop screen:
xrandr --output eDP1 --auto --primary --output DP1 --off --output DP2 --off

I tried playing with panning but I found it easier to just set similar
resolutions using whatever mode I want on the monitors and the proper scale
option  and then specifying the absolute positions with --pos. When
external monitors are enabled, I reduce the resolution of my laptop screen
because the laptop is on a stand further away from me so I need the text a
bit larger.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Eric