[arch-general] Can I build Arch Linux from Scratch?

ProgAndy admin at progandy.de
Thu Aug 9 11:10:13 UTC 2018

Am 09.08.2018 um 09:53 schrieb Paul Gideon Dann via arch-general:
> On 8 August 2018 at 02:33, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <
> turritopsis.dohrnii at teo-en-ming.com> wrote:
>
>> Good morning from Singapore,
>>

>> Can I build Arch Linux from Scratch like Linux from Scratch?
>>
> It's certainly possible to build all of ArchLinux's packages from source
> using the ABS. My approach would be to start on any Linux distribution by
> building Pacman, which will provide the makepkg script to allow you to
> start building Arch packages from source using PKGBUILD files. You'd want
> to start with the packages in the "base" group, followed by base-devel. You
> should be able to use Pacman to install each package file into a chroot, at
> which point your Arch system will be bootstrapped.
>
> But that's a lot of work. It's an interesting project, but I'm not sure
> there's much to be gained, practically, by building Arch like this as
> opposed to installing the pre-built packages.
>
> Paul

There are a few dependency cycles that may have to be build in stages
with bootstrap packages. First build package "one" without dependency on
"two", then build "two" with dependency on "one", then rebuild "one",
this time with dependency on "two". Maybe rebuild "two" as well. These
bootstrap PKGBUILDs do not exist in the archlinux sources, so you have
to create them on your own.

Andreas