[arch-general] i3stats depends on wireless_tools, causing "firmware load for regulatory.db failed" w/o wireless-regdb

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 11 23:48:08 UTC 2018

Archdevs,

  There seems to be a funny depends (or missing depends) issue for *some*
systems without wireless that have i3status installed.

  This appears to be because i3stats depends on wireless_tools, which during
boot triggers an attempt to load /var/lib/regulatory.db -- which fails because
the file doesn't exist with the following:

[   11.924427] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory
database
[   11.928144] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[   11.928215] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db
failed with error -2
[   11.928219] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

  This issue was touched on from a different angle in:

  The /var/lib/regulatory.db file is provided by wireless-regdb (a dependency
of crda), but neither are a dependency wireless_tools.

  I don't know exactly what hardware triggers the attempt to load on systems
without wireless. I have 2 SuperMicro boards that do throw the error, but
similar setups on MSI and Gigabyte that don't.

  The error appears harmless, so I don't know if it is something that should
even be addressed, but I thought I'd pass it along and let you devs make the call.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.